Tuesday, March 30

Unforgettable, That's What You Are (my apologies to Nat King Cole)

In this hectic world of information overload and excessive connectivity, sometimes it's hard to remember all the things that happen in a day. However, there are some things that are unforgettable. Rudeness - either personal or professional - is one of them.

I have to confess that recently, due to the economy, I've considered going back to work for someone else. This has been a mighty struggle, which I haven't completely resolved, but that's another story. During this process, I've been in contact with a lot of people regarding potential jobs. I've dealt with some outstanding professionals, but frankly, they have been few and far between.

The level of rudeness by "professionals" that I have encountered has amazed me. I understand the black hole of online resume submission (don't like it, but do understand it). I understand the inability to respond personally to all job applicants due to overwhelming volume. I understand how time slips away during a busy week and things fall through the cracks.

What I don't understand is a complete lack of responsiveness from decision makers with whom I've had a personal, and seemingly positive conversation. Believe me, I am well aware that it is a buyer's market for employers right now. But that doesn't make this kind of behavior acceptable.

As a marketing professional, I am bowled over. Don't they know what kind of impression they're making? Don't they know what they're doing to their company reputation? Are they aware of how disrespectful this is? Don't they know that behavior like this is unforgettable for anyone on the receiving end?

So what does this lack of professional behavior have to do with internet marketing, you ask? Think about the conversations your customers are trying to have with you in the online world. Suppose you work to create a lead, either through your website or email marketing, and a customer contacts you. Then what? Do you answer them professionally and continue the conversation, or are you unresponsive, i.e. rude?

If they don't get a response, do you think they forget? Well, they don't. They might not run around bad mouthing you to their friends, but you'll always be perceived in a negative way, and on a black list in the back of their mind.

Why would you want to alienate anyone with bad behavior? Maybe the relationship won't work out. Maybe it's not a good fit. Maybe you don't have the right product for the customer at this time. And that's OK.

But, and this is a very big deal - you don't know where that customer (or job hunter) is going to end up. Maybe that job hunter you blew off will end up being a decision maker at one of your biggest accounts. Maybe that customer you didn't respond to will win the lotto and need 800 high dollar widgets you could've sold them. Yes, it could happen. I've been around long enough to figure out that it's a very small world, and getting smaller all the time. You really don't know where someone will show up next.

There's a saying about seeing the same people on the way up the ladder as you do on the way down. Today, I'm convinced there are a lot of people, and companies, who need to listen to that message. Good manners and respect will always pay off. And wouldn't you rather be unforgettable for all the right reasons?

No comments:

Post a Comment